• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Proteus

Paul Proteus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

As I am a serious man, taking this very seriously, it has come to my attention a large facet of our community has a common literary (stress: literary) interest that has not been addressed.

I am talking about Mister Robert Lawrence Stine

goosebumps-goosebumps-3273055-316-463.jp

What is your favorite Goosebumps?  Literary criticism of the most serious and pretentious kind encouraged~

Edited by Paul Proteus, 12 August 2013 - 04:07 PM.

so it goes

-Smarter than the Average Bear

-Former CP USA, Switzerland

#2 Derphoof

Derphoof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPonyville

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

The_Haunted_Mask.jpg

Pretty good one right here.

10/10, would go back in time and piss my pants again.

- The Alpha Pony
- Best Pony

#3 Sarah Killah

Sarah Killah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

I would have to say my favorite book by Mr. Stine is "Night of the Werecat". I don't believe it is technically a Goosebumps book, but instead part of his "Ghosts of Fear Street". I hope the distinction isn't unwelcome in this thread.

Anyway, I identify with the main character's struggles to relate to humanity. She begins turning into this "werecat" every night, which is clearly an allegory for the recognition of individuals around us, also tied up in the worries and problems of the human condition.

#4 Paul Proteus

Paul Proteus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

I always took his monsters as a commentary on the monsters within us all, and his frequent trope of having the protagonists' parent either not understanding, or being complicit in the Monster's aims showcased a remarkable understanding of the generational gap and the divide between childlike understanding, and the adult's pragmatic cynicism. 

so it goes

-Smarter than the Average Bear

-Former CP USA, Switzerland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users