• PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationSouth of the clouds and north of the wind

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

cronyism
ˈkrəʊnɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
derogatory

1. the appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications.
    "it looked like an end to the cronyism with which many of the government's appointments had been tainted"

Now the rules clearly states that a board member will nominate one of his friends to the board

Screen-Shot-2014-04-30-at-2.17.55-PM.jpg

now where have i seen this before.  Oh well in my previous game who banned me for in their words "working against the community".

You see a small group of elite players was chosen to "help out the community"  and if you did anything to them you were squashed like the unimportant little bug they considered you to be.

Mod bias also naturally flows out of these groupings.

Because their perceived to be working for the community.  Anyone that opposes any of their ideas or plans are shoved out of the way.

------

Now in the start I had hopes for the Plato Foundation but the following just emphasized that they pursue elitism

Mittikemuis :

One last topic I want to address before I really am opening the Plato Foundation for new projects is one that may provoke discussion. In the past, board members switched very often. Every month new people were introduced by previous members or players who applied for the job. I feel that too much change in a team is counterproductive. On the risk of being called elitist, I would like to start again with a small team but one that will stay and work together for a longer period of time. Of course, these members will be all outstanding citizens (like myself) and open for constructive criticism.

So this just now seems a bad idea in the long run.  For one thing several of them are Dio'ist so we can see where this is heading already!

mh4l.png

#2 Gucio

Gucio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

Now the rules clearly states that a board member will nominate one of his friends to the board

Where does it state that?

You see a small group of elite players was chosen to "help out the community" and if you did anything to them you were squashed like the unimportant little bug they considered you to be.

Any proof?

Mod bias also naturally flows out of these groupings.

Any proof?

Unless you are able to provide any kind of proof, I'll be closing this topic.

#3 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

is this a court do i need to proof what i say?  let's just answer some :P

1. Representatives:

Given that this is a project of the community for the community, top players and leaders of their eCountries will be asked to join Plato in his efforts.

The Board of trustees is formed out of:

2 Community Officers

3 eRepublik Volunteer Moderators

4 independent high profile players (proposed and voted by the members of the board)

The members will be changed monthly.

therefore the only none mod/admins are 4 players nominated and voted on by the board.

2. this was a comprehensive discussion of my experiences in another game . where a viktor kurgan (lol yes i know) was appointed to help the community.  well in the end due to mod bias i and others were permanently banned from that game.

3.  this was using the example of the other game where the mods banned several members even for rules that did not exist.  what i am saying is these very same principles you are using now was used as a kinda whip to attack members of the community who disagreed with them. like for example you not allowing debate on this topic!

mh4l.png

#4 Gucio

Gucio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

So the board consists 5 eRepublik Staff and 4 independent high profile players. Either parties are able to propose potential members, and the whole Plato Foundation board is being approved by the whole team (office). 

I understand that there are various other games, I'm not exactly aware of the policies or any type of measures these have in place to prevent such situations. I can however assure you that we do have both policies and structures in place to prevent any kind of bias action or abuse of power. The Rules and the Terms of Service are accessible by everyone and any penalties are applied purely on those and not on any kind of made up rules. Obviously, there will always be someone who will say a penalty or action has been unfair or unjustified, but in reality when these are checked by staff, that is not the case.

I'm not saying that this is court, you have made a thread with a request to shut the program down as well as potential allegations, unless these are backed up with any kind of proof it will be pure statements, rather than facts. I'm sure you will agree that a program or a project cannot be shut because of something that may have happened in another game or because there is a potential for something not to go as planned. I mean let's take a somehow equivalent example. A local authority wants to build a pedestrian crossing on a road. Before the crossing is even built, the locals are already putting claim that the crossing will cause a lot of accidents and should not be built as cars will not stop. 6 months later after the crossing was built, there was not a single accident there.

#5 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:57 PM

high profile players ?  do they represent or have the same interest as the average erepublikan.  why only high profile players.  i mean your trying not to be elitist but only high profile players can sit on your board.  and is sitting on that board not also an activity and should all players not have the same opportunity to sit on it.  your setup  implies a bias towards low profile players who cannot sit on your board. 

One of erepublik rules are that you cannot exclude people from participating in every aspect of the game.

elitism

ɪˈliːtɪz(ə)m/
noun

1. the belief that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    "local government in the nineteenth century was the very essence of elitism"
    • the dominance of a society or system by an elite.
    • the superior attitude or behaviour associated with an elite.

elite
      eɪˈliːt,ɪˈliːt/
      noun

1. 1.
        a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society

but 

high profile means

high profile
        noun

1. 1.
          a position attracting much attention or publicity.
          "people who have a high profile in the community"

pretty much sounds like you were aiming for elite.

mh4l.png

#6 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:05 AM

since their profile is higher you were selecting on a "superior ability" they possess therefore you are aiming for a elitist Plato Foundation in a f* online game.  Come on gucio even you know this is a game played by people of all walks of life.  you cannot exclude people. plain and simple. if people are dollar equal you should allow them participation in all parts of the game.  come on add a few plebs to your high profile board.  

mh4l.png

#7 mittekemuis

mittekemuis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

It does not matter if they use money to play the game or that they grind through it more slowly. You know as well as I do that there are excellent examples to be found in both categories of players. 

High profile means the following things for me:

* Their community large or small see them as trustworthy

* They are judged on their merit 

* Knowing the game mechanics is a must it doesn't matter if you master that at level 20/200/2000 

* They are accessible ingame and on discord or other communication channels 

Also may I remind you that in everything Plato has the last word! If you can't accept that then all discussions about this are useless. 

On the matter of changing/rotating the board efficiently and fair, I hope to give the community an answer soon. 

• Jimkats1 likes this

#8 Gucio

Gucio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 822 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

Releasethe Krakken not exactly, I mean you could say exactly the same thing about pretty much any project ie Mentors Projkect, Translations Project, Game Moderators Project, the eRepublik Wiki, practically all of these projects have minimum requirements in order for citizens to join or apply. The requirements are set based on what we believe is essential for the citizens to have or be in order to fit within the project and to allow the project to run smoothly. We're not limiting anyone from participating in Plato Foundation, as anyone is able to propose their own project for it to be considered.

I know this is a game, and it's not exactly the same, but let's say you're applying for a new job. The employer will always have a certain requirements or a skill set which they will expect a candidate to have before the candidate is even considered. So I cannot exactly see the Plato Foundation supporting elitism. I know that we're not an employer in this instance and we're not looking for employees, but I think that example has a fairly similar context.

#9 William Thomas Riker

William Thomas Riker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

I would end the Foundation simply because it has no purpose. What can the gold be awarded for, other than for writing articles (for whatever purpose, usually through a cotest) and handing out supplies (usually through a contest as well)? I'll tell you what for, absolutely nothing. Poeple had run out of ideas the very first month of the Foundation's existence.

#10 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

I would end the Foundation simply because it has no purpose. What can the gold be awarded for, other than for writing articles (for whatever purpose, usually through a cotest) and handing out supplies (usually through a contest as well)? I'll tell you what for, absolutely nothing. Poeple had run out of ideas the very first month of the Foundation's existence.

yeah that is another valid point.  how many food giveaways and singing competitions can be sponsored? how many people care about them still?  how many people actually are imaginative enough to come up with new ideas.  

mh4l.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users