•     

Photo

New Privacy Policy Asking Us Literally Everything? What The H...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 J211

J211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

https://www.erepubli...a_track/privacy

Here is the new privacy policy eRepublik admins have announce. Well to be honest I read some parts of it and wondered. What will Plato do with my IMEI? Which is a unique number for any device. Why do you need that I wonder. And many things like that let's take a quick look.

2.2 We may also collect and process the following personal data about you:

• Email address
  • Information about the browser type and version used
  • The user’s operating system
  • The Internet service provider of the user
  • The IP address of the user
  • Date and time of access
  • Websites from which the user’s system reaches your website
  • Websites accessed by the user’s system via your website
  • Google ID
  • Facebook ID
  • Facebook Email
  • Mobile device related info, such as: imei (device id); Brand, Model and Carrier; Operating System/Platform (iOS, Android) & OS version; Network type: WiFi/Mobile Data

OK I get you need e-mail address IP address etc every site uses those. But why eRepublik want to collect imei, phone brand and model or network type etc?

2.2.2 information that you submit in response to a news post or discussion thread, shouts, private messages or through any other in-game communication channels;

Collecting our shouts pm's etc. Well let's see what is the use of this.

3.5 We may sell or licence your shouts, articles, content, data and any other messages you post on any area of eRepublik Service to third parties for their use, in which case your username and any personally identifiable information you have included in your shouts, articles, private messages or through any other in-game communication channels may be shown to users of such third party websites. Except as set out in this Privacy Policy, we do not sell, rent, share, trade or give away any of your personal information.

Sell our shouts articles and private messages? Well to whom? Why you need to sell those? As I recall this game is pay-to-win game so you sell packs and stuff to make a profit. But selling our messages and shouts, that's a NO-NO admins and you are obliged to answer for that policy change.

4.2 If you provide personal information to us you understand and agree that we may disclose your personal information to the following third parties:

4.2.1 to the eRepublik Labs hosting provider: Amazon Inc. which uses servers located in the EU and in the US.

You acknowledge that we may change the hosting provider at any time and any such change will be posted on eRepublik Service by an amendment to this Privacy Policy. You consent to the transfer of your personal data to any new hosting provider’s servers. You may communicate any questions, comments or requests in relation to any change in hosting provider by emailing privacy@erepubliklabs.com or via our Support Center.

So with this new privacy policy, which you don't ask the old members to agree you just inform them, we will authorize you to provide our personal information to Amazon! Why? In the meantime you may change the hosting provider whenever you want and we also authorize our personal information being provided to possible future hosting provider which we don't know about. Isn't this ODD?

The personal information will be deleted as soon as it is no longer necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was collected.

OH AND HERE COMES MY FAVORITE PART!

5.3 Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to eRepublik Labs; any transmission is at your own risk.

So you say you will collect our personal information, shouts, private messages and everything from our IP addresses, e-mail address, even our phone's imei, model so and and so forth BUT YOU CANNOT GUARANTEE THE SECURITY OF THIS DATA and you cannot be held responsible. WE on the other hand accept to provide you all these information at our own risk. WHAT THE H...

I believe you are obliged to answer this privacy policy. Because there are things that is not making any sense at all. Why should I provide my information to a game that cannot guarantee the security of my personal information? Why should I agree to let you store my private messages and shouts and authorize to use them and maybe sell them to 3rd parties that I will not even know?

Edited by J211, 18 January 2021 - 10:44 PM.

• Hostilian and Pinkamena Diane Pie like this

#2 Rabbit of Caerbannog

Rabbit of Caerbannog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:41 AM

Yes, things are definitely fishy there.. 

Thank you, @J211, for your efforts with this topic and raising questions..

• J211 likes this

Stay positive!

o7

R.

#3 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationSouth of the clouds and north of the wind

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

some points to answer you J211 things like your shouts and in game messages had always fallen under that rule.  i think this has been in every policy i can remember.  i assume it would be if something we write goes viral or someone in our midst goes viral.  chances of that are virtually nada.  

i never had any problem with that as most players dont use their real names although i have seen one here.  so my assumption was i post something controversial  and then they place screenshots on a article or website and who cares.

-----

then there is new things introduced i read something on whatsapp about the GDBD law in EU and how this has blocked whatsapp as italy laid a complaint about this.

now if i piece it together you may also want to search arthur goldstuck and whatsapp: is that  the information they are referring to is collected by google naturally stuff such as your location your browser history etc hamburger :settings -privacy and security - site settings - data shared accross sites - erepublik will give you an idea what info already are available to them on a normal computer.  

look at the list arthur goldstuck mentions as well.  if i put 2 and 2 together i assume that they are forced to comply with the GDBD and since google collect info and many players use google they are forced to acknowledge that they have access to this data

in short they are complying to the eu rules , laws and regulations .

------

but their extremely vague about what exactly they are doing and or plan to do with the information.  are they going to bring in ads.  then just say so. are whatsapp going to bring in ads.  then they also should say this.

i know we cannot flame but i have enough problems to face in my life i just want to relax on a safe and private site where i know that none of my information is used or distributed.

i know in an average year you probable multiple times share your information with people you safe it on google so that it can autofill documents.  but this was always a convenience thing. i trusted google wouldnt sell my data.  and for years i have used my business address so that psychos cannot visit me at home.  

dont know whether goldstuck says it in the video but if you dont pay for a service like google you are the product they are selling.

Edited by Releasethe Krakken, 19 January 2021 - 09:59 AM.

• J211 likes this

mh4l.png

#4 J211

J211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

some points to answer you J211 things like your shouts and in game messages had always fallen under that rule.  i think this has been in every policy i can remember.  i assume it would be if something we write goes viral or someone in our midst goes viral.  chances of that are virtually nada.  

i never had any problem with that as most players dont use their real names although i have seen one here.  so my assumption was i post something controversial  and then they place screenshots on a article or website and who cares.

-----

then there is new things introduced i read something on whatsapp about the GDBD law in EU and how this has blocked whatsapp as italy laid a complaint about this.

now if i piece it together you may also want to search arthur goldstuck and whatsapp: is that  the information they are referring to is collected by google naturally stuff such as your location your browser history etc hamburger :settings -privacy and security - site settings - data shared accross sites - erepublik will give you an idea what info already are available to them on a normal computer.  

look at the list arthur goldstuck mentions as well.  if i put 2 and 2 together i assume that they are forced to comply with the GDBD and since google collect info and many players use google they are forced to acknowledge that they have access to this data

in short they are complying to the eu rules , laws and regulations .

------

but their extremely vague about what exactly they are doing and or plan to do with the information.  are they going to bring in ads.  then just say so. are whatsapp going to bring in ads.  then they also should say this.

i know we cannot flame but i have enough problems to face in my life i just want to relax on a safe and private site where i know that none of my information is used or distributed.

i know in an average year you probable multiple times share your information with people you safe it on google so that it can autofill documents.  but this was always a convenience thing. i trusted google wouldnt sell my data.  and for years i have used my business address so that psychos cannot visit me at home.  

dont know whether goldstuck says it in the video but if you dont pay for a service like google you are the product they are selling.

I know many things that is here are already in the previous version of privacy policy. But when I saw they ask for our consent to provide the information of our devices IMEI, model and etc. well thats pretty much to share with a game. I do not know why the game need my devices IMEI number. In case people don't know the IMEI number is a unique number who happens to be in your phone. Which means only your device can have it in the entire world and none other. IMEI number can be used to track your exact location together with the IMSI (You SIM cards unique number) even if you have your location services off and most probably even if you have your phone off (Unless you remove the battery which cannot do with the new smartphones.). So eRepublik Labs. say they cannot guarantee the safety of our personal information but they want to store these data which can be quite dangerous if somehow it ends up stolen with some security breach etc. Wanting to access our IMEI or many other information is irrelevant since it is just a game and I do not know why the hell they want those data to a game.

Edited by J211, 19 January 2021 - 04:05 PM.

#5 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

i wrote an article about this but it was removed due to flaming.  they dont need any data from us to run the game besides our ip address.  i deleted the mobile app because that directly connects me to my personal information.  

the imei is very scary.  your google id equally because this can affect your right to anonymously comment on videos.

and then there is this gem : 2.2.4 details of financial transactions you carry out through eRepublik Service; and  

so what details exactly?  your credit card number, ss number expiry date.?  they probably wont respond that is just their way.  i would say use luno but each time i used it there was serious problems which somehow got resolved.  

mh4l.png

#6 J211

J211

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:45 PM

i wrote an article about this but it was removed due to flaming.  they dont need any data from us to run the game besides our ip address.  i deleted the mobile app because that directly connects me to my personal information.  

the imei is very scary.  your google id equally because this can affect your right to anonymously comment on videos.

and then there is this gem : 2.2.4 details of financial transactions you carry out through eRepublik Service; and  

so what details exactly?  your credit card number, ss number expiry date.?  they probably wont respond that is just their way.  i would say use luno but each time i used it there was serious problems which somehow got resolved.  

Of course they will remove for flaming it did not surprise me :D. And what I wonder is whether we have the right to reject this privacy policy according to the GDPR. As far as I know GDPR rules gives us that right, that's why people living in EU have the right to reject the new Whatsapp privacy policy and they can still continue to use the app with previous privacy policy. If we have that right and eRepublik Labs. does not give us a choice then it is a clear breach of the EU laws and the GDPR. All the websites I know are asking for our consent every single time we enter the site and we have the right to reject in the meantime eRepublik Labs. just inform us do not even ask even they change the policy. I have opened a ticket about it they did not answer yet, I could even ask for legal advice from the lawyers I know both in this game and in real life because if eRepublik Labs are breaking the laws about our privacy and they don't change it then I will ask for my account deletion.

Edited by J211, 19 January 2021 - 06:49 PM.

• Hostilian likes this

#7 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

well there is a erasure form and you can require them to erase all of your data.  you can ask them to provide you with information they have collected about you.  as you point out you can bring this under the attention of the gdpr which can heavily fine them.

you just stay put let them sweat this one out.  you are entitled to exercise your rights and them punishing you in exercising this right will lead to a definite fine.

mh4l.png

#8 Gucio

Gucio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:38 PM

eRepublik does is not a payment provider and does not process payments. When you check out you will be redirected to a 3rd party payment provider (see 13.3 ToS).

Of course they will remove for flaming it did not surprise me :D. And what I wonder is whether we have the right to reject this privacy policy according to the GDPR. As far as I know GDPR rules gives us that right, that's why people living in EU have the right to reject the new Whatsapp privacy policy and they can still continue to use the app with previous privacy policy. If we have that right and eRepublik Labs. does not give us a choice then it is a clear breach of the EU laws and the GDPR. All the websites I know are asking for our consent every single time we enter the site and we have the right to reject in the meantime eRepublik Labs. just inform us do not even ask even they change the policy. I have opened a ticket about it they did not answer yet, I could even ask for legal advice from the lawyers I know both in this game and in real life because if eRepublik Labs are breaking the laws about our privacy and they don't change it then I will ask for my account deletion.

Just a correction on the WhatsApp you may wish to read up about :) WhatsApp has initially forced all users to accept the new privacy policy by 8th February else the account will be banned/terminated. Although the latest I've seen the roll out has been halted for another 3 months.

For the rest, I suggest you read section 10 of the Privacy Policy. Make sure you don't mix up cookies with privacy policies/terms of service, generally speaking completely 2 different things.

well there is a erasure form and you can require them to erase all of your data.  you can ask them to provide you with information they have collected about you.  as you point out you can bring this under the attention of the gdpr which can heavily fine them.

you just stay put let them sweat this one out.  you are entitled to exercise your rights and them punishing you in exercising this right will lead to a definite fine.

I suggest you read Section 10 of the Privacy Policy.

#9 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:45 PM

whatsapp was stopped in the eu not in many other countries.  it triggered a concern about privacy. 

i read the gdpr  but will have to check my history tomorrow to figure out what pages it where

but i am certain there was electives on accepting the policy stated as you have the right to refuse to share. 

my concern is easy i want to remain anonymous.  if you can say we wont share data about krakken that will destroy his anonimity like his google id  i will be fine.  in our country  you cant just say what you want .(except if your a politician)  i think people in places like china/ north korea/ iran wouldnt want their personal information like name and surname to be collected and shared with the government.  as it may get them killed /arrested or tortured.  anonymity and privacy is for some a question of life and death .  

mh4l.png

#10 Gucio

Gucio

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

whatsapp was stopped in the eu not in many other countries.  it triggered a concern about privacy. 

i read the gdpr  but will have to check my history tomorrow to figure out what pages it where

but i am certain there was electives on accepting the policy stated as you have the right to refuse to share. 

my concern is easy i want to remain anonymous.  if you can say we wont share data about krakken that will destroy his anonimity like his google id  i will be fine.  in our country  you cant just say what you want .(except if your a politician)  i think people in places like china/ north korea/ iran wouldnt want their personal information like name and surname to be collected and shared with the government.  as it may get them killed /arrested or tortured.  anonymity and privacy is for some a question of life and death .  

Please see 3.5 of the Privacy Policy. I have highlighted the relevant part for your reference. The personal data is defined under 2.2

3.5 We may sell or licence your shouts, articles, content, data and any other messages you post on any area of eRepublik Service to third parties for their use, in which case your username and any personally identifiable information you have included in your shouts, articles, private messages or through any other in-game communication channels may be shown to users of such third party websites. Except as set out in this Privacy Policy, we do not sell, rent, share, trade or give away any of your personal information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users