11 replies to this topic

#1 ahava3233

ahava3233

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

In the English UI, some of the battle decorations use the word "his" in their rollover descriptions.  Can't they use the word "their" as a gender-neutral alternative instead?  I mean given they clearly don't want to implement gender in citizen accounts (If I'm right, that's a feature that was actually removed in the past, plus this solution would be much simpler than adding a whole new feature to the game, it's just a UI change).

#2 Zordacz

Zordacz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, if you look deep into the code, you can still find the gender variable but everyone's male.

#3 Flaco Jimenez

Flaco Jimenez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Everyone on the internet is male....or a FBI agent. 

1029831-1.png

To a kid lookin' up to me , Life ain't nothin but bitches and money. 

Warrior/Poet: Ice Cube. 

#4 bonjik

bonjik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationAtlantis

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

I rather use genders then use things as "theirs" :P

#5 Jack Lantos

Jack Lantos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, if you look deep into the code, you can still find the gender variable but everyone's male.

Perhaps it might be a convenient excuse for how the e-population has been dropping for years

Edited by Jack Lantos, 29 April 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#6 Rosmedian

Rosmedian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Why do you even care about such an isignificant detail?

#7 ahava3233

ahava3233

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Why do you even care about such an isignificant detail?

Because it can be easily fixed by changing a few words from "his" to "their" in the server code, the change won't hurt anyone, and I personally find it annoying that I see women I know (including myself) referred to as men on here.  I'm sure there are others that have/would voice this opinion too, and tbh I find the fact this hasn't been fixed surprising--unless Romanian (eRep Bucharest office) normally uses a gender neutral pronoun in the decoration description (I know Spanish does, their Madrid office), given I know eRepublik Labs has female employees (why wouldn't they have complained yet?).

The UI designer clearly didn't get the memo then...no more gender in erep, that's deprecated.

Edited by ahava3233, 29 April 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#8 Internetus Internetian

Internetus Internetian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSomalia

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

In the English UI, some of the battle decorations use the word "his" in their rollover descriptions.  Can't they use the word "their" as a gender-neutral alternative instead?  I mean given they clearly don't want to implement gender in citizen accounts (If I'm right, that's a feature that was actually removed in the past, plus this solution would be much simpler than adding a whole new feature to the game, it's just a UI change).

LOL, femnazi alert.  And shes from New York, hahaha.  50 percent chance she is Jewish, or 50 percent chance she is euro-mutt Zionist.

• Flaco Jimenez likes this

DeafulBanner_Flag-65w5fejz16umze7jbqmexw

#9 ahava3233

ahava3233

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

LOL, femnazi alert.  And shes from New York, hahaha.  50 percent chance she is Jewish, or 50 percent chance she is euro-mutt Zionist.

I'm not hiding anything hun...ahava aka אהבה means love in Hebrew, I am an (Atheist) Jew. But that and Zionism aren't relevant to this topic. My point remains, using the word "their" instead of "his" will not hurt anyone and will only serve to rid this game of some unnecessary gender bias so we can all play on equal footing (Put yourself in my shoes, how would you feel if Plato defaulted to "her"?).

Edited by ahava3233, 30 April 2014 - 12:40 AM.

#10 Bhane

Bhane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:41 AM

One thing that DnD books started a long time ago was to use female pronouns for all references to the players.

It is a game that has an overwhelmingly male player base. The use of feminine pronouns made the few female players feel more comfortable. It also created more welcoming literature for ladies that were being introduced to the game. If you're going to use a pronoun for descriptive or instructional text, then I recommend following that example. Use the feminine pronouns as a default, unless you are referring to a specific person that is male. All references to "the player" can be she and her.

#11 Releasethe Krakken

Releasethe Krakken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationSouth of the clouds and north of the wind

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

what if your a sea monster i am reffered to as him not a natural wonder or sentient being.  I agree with the OP this hit hould top now.

mh4l.png

#12 Flaco Jimenez

Flaco Jimenez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

Good call Mr Squidward. 

1029831-1.png

To a kid lookin' up to me , Life ain't nothin but bitches and money. 

Warrior/Poet: Ice Cube. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users